Dual Enrollment Programs

Dual Enrollment Programs

Dual enrollment programs are partnerships between school districts and institutions of higher education that allow high school students to enroll in college courses and earn transferable college credit.

Dual Enrollment and College Credit
Important Note: All forms of college credit have related costs and fees which are the sole responsibility of
the family. SHCSD does not provide assistance to cover these fees. Speak with the school counselor or
college advisor for information on these programs.

Colleges participating in SHC’s dual enrollment program are expected to send tuition invoices for dual enrollment credits directly to the SHCSD Business Office. Students/families should not pay the tuition bill directly.

In the event that the student/family receives a tuition bill for dual enrollment credits, forward the bill to the SHCSD Business Office by contacting Hillary Lambert at hlambert@shcsd.org.

In the event that the student/family already paid the tuition bill for dual enrollment credits, contact Hillary Lambert (hlambert@shcsd.org) to issue a reimbursement.

Advanced Placement (AP) Courses
Any student may enroll in AP courses if they meet course prerequisites. Advanced Placement (AP) courses
are college-level courses designed to prepare students to take the Advanced Placement tests administered in May. Many colleges and universities in the U.S. and internationally grant credits for Advanced Placement based on AP exam scores. AP scores, which are reported to students, high schools, colleges, and universities in July, are on AP’s five-point scale (below). Most institutions require a 3, 4, or 5 to earn college credit.

  • 5: Extremely Well-Qualified
  • 4: Well-Qualified
  • 3: Qualified
  • 2: Possibly Qualified
  • 1: No Recommendation

Dual Enrollment or Dual Credit
Dual Enrollment is when high school students take college classes (often directly through a college,
university, or a college/university’s affiliated online program). These students are enrolled in both high
school and college simultaneously.

Dual Credit is a subset of dual enrollment, in which students take college classes at their high school and receive both high school and college credit for the college course.

  • 3 or 4 credit college course = 1 high school credit

Southern Huntingdon County School Districts partners with the following colleges to offer dual enrollment: Mount Aloysius, Penn Highlands, and Juniata College.

  • Fall semester registration deadlines are typically in September & Spring semester registration deadlines are typically at the beginning of November. Check with the specific school regarding exact deadlines.

Penn Highlands Associates in High School Program
Qualified high school students can take advantage of Penn Highlands’ fully accredited Accelerated College Education (ACE) program, where students will have the opportunity to enroll in college-level courses taught by their high school teachers. These credits will count towards an associate’s degree, or are often transferrable to other colleges and universities.

An extension of ACE, the Associates in High School program provides students entering ninth (9th) grade with an opportunity to earn an Associate’s Degree by completing ACE, online, and on-campus coursework through SHCSD and PHCC.

*Students wishing to attend a 4-year university should be aware that ACE credits (while highly
transferrable) may not transfer into all institutions or programs, and that even with full credit transfer,
certain institutions or academic programs may require a minimum amount of semesters completed.

Dual Enrollment – Juniata College

Dual Enrollment – IUP